Meet Jim D. Flowers, Ph.D.
Dir of Special Projects, Chief Data Officer, Enterprise Risk Mgr; Clayton State University
The Director of Special Projects provides leadership and service to advance the University in accordance with the University’s strategic plan. The director advises university leadership on strategies to engage local communities and business organizations, as well as local and state political leaders, in support of financial and strategic objectives; liaisons with University System of Georgia staff, state legislature and executive branch leaders to obtain their support for university requests and assure university compliance with policies; maintains university compliance to University System of Georgia enterprise risk management policies; and manages other projects as assigned by the University President.
The Chief Data Officer implements and maintains University Data Governance program following NIST and University System of Georgia guidelines, chair governance committee chartered to develop, monitor, and assess policies governing enterprise data, and ensure compliance with internal and external cybersecurity and privacy requirements.
The Enterprise Risk Policy Manager maintains campus risk management framework and provide refreshed risk assessments to the Cabinet in compliance with University System requirements.
• Implemented University Data Governance model, aligning university with Board of Regents requirements, and compliance with GLBA, FERPA, HIPAA, GDPR, and other regulatory regimes;
• Advocated and secured $40 + million in public funds for capital projects;
• Improved University relations with state executive and legislative leaders;
• Chaired campus administrative review designed to align administrative functions with university mission, identifying opportunities for improvements and efficiencies, and re-purposing of resources to improve instruction and student services;
• Designed/Implemented IT shared-governance structure;
• Improved community engagement with local government and citizen groups;
• Increased visits by state and federal elected officials – executive and legislative;
• Assisted AVP Communications to improve strategies for relations with state and local partners;
• Led committee to increase awareness of strategic plan objectives – first strategic plan to be implemented by Clayton State
• Implemented system to monitor effects of efforts to achieve strategic goals and objectives, data collected provided foundation for claims of University achievements for accreditation review.
• University System of Georgia Executive Leadership Institute Scholar – 2011